3rd international conference: Environmental monitoring and assessment
Oct 01, 2015 12:00 AM
Oct 02, 2015 12:00 AM
|Add event to calendar||
Environmental monitoring and assessment is fundamental to the understanding of our ecosystems, to prevent adverse effects on ecosystems and human health, as a basis for policies, and as a tool to follow the outcome of regulations. DCE, Aarhus University has a long tradition in combining monitoring and research to inform policy-making, both nationally and internationally. Together with Partnership for European Environmental Research (PEER), Aarhus University would like to invite researchers and practitioners to discuss the future challenges and opportunities for environmental monitoring and assessment.
The aims of the conference include:
- Discussing and sharing ideas on future methods and technologies
- Document and discuss the value of combining research and monitoring
- Strengthen the chain from monitoring and assessment to environmental policies, regulation and management.
- Strengthen an interdisciplinary, joint international and integrated approach.
Some of the main questions are: How to best evolve environmental monitoring, in order to make use of new and smart technologies for improved and cost-effective monitoring? How do we assess and document the value of data and knowledge of environmen-tal ecosystems?
The themes covered by conference sessions and workshops cover:
- Physical and chemical parameters
- Biological parameters
- Marine litter and noise
- Ecosystem structure and function
- The Arctic
- Climate change
Monitoring strategies and data evaluation
- Data harmonization, quality assurance and databases
- Monitoring design and uncertainty in estimates of environmental status
Legislation and management
- Monitoring and assessment
- Regulations, policies and economy
New and alternative methods for monitoring
- Synergy between science and monitoring
- New technologies and solutions
- Multipurpose and interdisciplinary monitoring
- International collaboration