ECN's research coordinator delivers keynote conference address
Don presented an overview of environmental factors influencing dissolved organic matter in upland source waters. The meeting then focused on aquatic organic matter characterisation and treatment.
Don has a background in upland freshwater ecological, biogeochemical and palaeoecological monitoring and research. Working with collaborators, he has published several papers on dissolved organic carbon in the UK.
- Monteith, DT., Evans, CD., Henrys, PA., Simpson, GL. and Malcolm, IA. (2012). Trends in the hydrochemistry of acid-sensitive surface waters in the UK 1988–2008. Ecological Indicators (in press, available online)
- Evans, CD., Monteith, DT., Fowler, D., Cape, JN. and Brayshaw, S. (2011). Hydrochloric acid: An overlooked driver of environmental change. Environmental Science and Technology, 45(5), 1887-1894
- Evans, CD., Monteith, DT., Reynolds, B. and et al. (2008). Buffering of recovery from acidification by organic acids. Science of the Total Environment, 404 (2-3), 316-325
- Monteith, DT., Stoddard, JL., Evans, CD., de Wit, HA., Forsius, M., Hogasen, T., Wilander, A., Skjelkvale, BL., Jeffries, DS., Vuorenmaa, J., Keller, B., Kopacek, J. and Vesely, J. (2007). Dissolved organic carbon trends resulting from changes in atmospheric deposition chemistry. Nature, 450, 537-540
- Evans, CD., Chapman, PJ., Clark, JM., Monteith, DT. and Cresser, MS. (2006). Alternative explanations for rising dissolved organic carbon export from organic soils. Global Change Biology, 12, 2044-2053
- Evans, CD., Monteith, DT. and Cooper, DM. (2005). Long-term increases in surface water dissolved organic carbon: Observations, possible causes and environmental impacts. Environmental Pollution, 137, 55-71