The first 20 years of the ECN at North Wyke, Devon
© Lawes Agricultural
Beaumont, D. (2016). The UK Environmental Change Network. North Wyke: The first 20 years (1993-2012). 41 pp. Lawes Agricultural Trust Co. Ltd. ISBN 978 0 9564424 2 0.
ECN North Wyke for web.pdf — PDF document, 5.12 MB (5365246 bytes)
This booklet by ECN North Wyke's site manager, Deb Beaumont, presents findings from the first two decades (1993-2012) of detailed ECN monitoring at the Devon site.
North Wyke was an experimental farm from 1955-1981, belonging to Fisons Fertilisers, before the Grassland Research Institute acquired the site in September 1981 to study the efficiency of grassland production on heavy soils under high rainfall in SW England. A period of restructuring of research institutes resulted in the formation of the Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research (IGER) in 1990. In March 2008 IGER ceased to exist and North Wyke was temporarily known as North Wyke Research before becoming part of Rothamsted Research in August 2009.
North Wyke has established itself nationally and internationally as a research centre for pastoral livestock production. Both the North Wyke and Harpenden (Rothamsted) ECN sites are part of the Long-term Experiments National Capability (LTE-NC) that is supported by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) and the Lawes Agricultural Trust for the wider benefit of the science community.