Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs
|ECN site(s) managed||
Defra is the UK government department responsible for policy and regulations on the environment, food and rural affairs. Defra is responsible for making policies and legislation - and for delivering those policies in - areas such as:
- the natural environment, biodiversity, plants and animals
- sustainable development and the green economy
- food, farming and fisheries
- animal health and welfare
- environmental protection and pollution control
- rural communities and issues.
Although Defra only work directly in England, they work closely with the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and generally lead on negotiations in the EU and internationally.